Wanna get our awesome news?

Subscribe to our newsletter!


Actually we won’t spam you and keep your personal data secure

As the voice of the Indian restaurant industry, we represent the interests of 500000+ restaurants & an industry valued @ USD 4 billion. Whether a chain or independent restaurant, the NRAI is here to help every step of the way. Join us!


Thane’s restaurants, hotels & malls must install new fire alert gadget


The timeline to install the automated system is yet to be announced. It is hoped the new system will reduce the response time to an emergency.

Nearly 2,500 plus commercial establishments in Thane, a satellite city to Mumbai, will soon have to install an automated safety gadget that will instantly alert the fire department of any blaze. The facility is aimed to minimize the response time but is likely to burden establishments with installation and maintenance charges.

The gadget is set to come with a dedicated landline connection. The units will be installed at strategic locations and will be connected to the control room at the fire brigade headquarters.

It will soon be mandatory for owners of commercial establishments, including offices, restaurants, malls and theatres to install the gadget.

The equipment is programmed in such a way that it instantly detects a fire in the area and sends an alert to the control room without any manual intervention. This will help cut down rescue time especially during holidays or at night when shops are shut. In most cases, security personnel or some neighbours tip off fire officials.

“The TMC will not spend any money on it as owners of commercial establishments will pay for the installation and maintenance of the equipment,” said Arvind Mandke, chief fire officer, TMC.

The fire department will soon make it mandatory for owners of commercial establishments, including offices, restaurants, malls and theatres to install the gadget.

A fire at a eatery in Kurla in October had claimed lives of seven students. There have been instances of fires at eateries in Thane too but luckily there have been no casualties. A few months back, a fire at a restaurant in a popular mall in the city had raised panic among patrons.


This was followed by another instance where a house was gutted in a cylinder blast. Another eatery in Kopri also suffered damages after a LPG gas leak went unnoticed and led to an accident that could possibly have been fatal had the incident occurred during working hours.

However, industry players have shot down the concept saying this would mean an additional burden since many commercial units already have functional fire alarms and extinguishers along with water sprays installed at several spots in the premises.

“The fire department should just concentrate on ensuring that the existing firefighting mechanism works instead of loading the industry with new initiatives,” said an expert.

Source: Times of India

Recommended for you